Day 17: A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.

11/17/2010 06:14:00 AM

I love to read but I am not one of those people who read the same book once a year because they love it so much.  I usually read a book and then move on to the next - I've even been getting rid of the books I've already read because I just don't have the space to keep them around anymore.  I use to use Paperbackswap.com, but I had way too many books hanging around waiting to be requested - so a few months ago I took a few boxes of books to the rummage sale where I work.  I gave a few to friends at work and then donated the rest - I don't miss them at all.

However, there is one book that I won't give away for a few reasons.  It's my copy of the book The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - and not only is it a book that I can read more than once, it has a handwritten inscription from my grandmother (who gave me the book) inside!


It's been a while since I opened the book, but I'm sure that I will open it again.  It isn't fiction - which is probably one of the reasons I can go back to it.  It's one of those books that you can read a little bit of and benefit from or read the whole thing and feel inspired.  I also have the movie and the DVD - (well, it's on my iPod).

Did it change my views on something?  You bet.  You can't help but pay closer attention to how you think after you read this book.  You can't help but notice that when you start to worry or feel sorry for yourself that things get worse instead of better but when you are focusing on the positive and trying to be upbeat and happy things seem to stay upbeat and even get better.  Now, of course it isn't ALWAYS that easy - but this book has taught me that you really can accomplish a lot by your attitude and confidence level.  It totally changed my views on how I control my life.

One of my favorite Lord of the Rings quotes is when Gandalf says to Frodo, "All we can do is decide what to do with the time we are given".  I think that pretty much sums up how this book helped me, too.  It made me realize that I can decide how I react and I can decide how I feel and I can decide how I think about things.  It also showed me that like attracts like - so if I decide to be happy, happiness will come.  I've decided to be happy - so we will see.  (I've also decided that I would like to hit the lottery so that I can buy a bigger house with a playroom to hide the toys that overflow into every room in my house - I'll keep you updated and let you know when the check actually shows up!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe