As promised - Days 18 - 20

11/20/2010 06:01:00 AM

Okay...let's get this over with.  If it's one thing I'm not comfortable doing it's talking about religion or politics...I'm not exactly excited to share my views on gay marriage or drugs and alcohol either - you may remember me mentioning I'm super non-confrontational?  That's why.  So, here it goes anyway...it'll be quick and hopefully painless.

Day 18: Your views on gay marriage. 


My views on gay marriage?  I've been thinking about how to put that so that I don't sound like an idiot or like I'm extremely self-centered but it's just not happening so I'll just say it.  It doesn't really matter to me.  I had some gay friends when I was in college.  They were nice.  They were very accepting of me and they were very fun to hang out with.  They were actually a lot nicer than some of the straight people I knew in college.  I would want them to be as happy as they could possibly be...and if getting married would make them happy then I feel that they should be able to get married.  However, I don't currently have any gay friends...and it isn't a pressing issue in my life right now...so, I'm not overly vocal about it.  


I guess when it comes down to it, I would support gay marriage if it were important to someone I cared about.  I don't oppose it - but it isn't really an issue that I am dealing with right now.

Day 19: What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics? 


Isn't it funny that this question follows the gay marriage one?  I mean, there are a lot of people who are members of my church (I'm Roman Catholic) who would be openly opposed to gay marriage.  They would find all the places in the bible that show that man and woman are suppose to marry - no same sex marriages.  Anyway - that is a minor part of my problem with religion right now.  Not gay marriage - just that it doesn't seem to be looking at the changes taking place and changing along with the rest of the world.


Don't get me wrong - I have faith.  I feel an amazing amount of peace when I am at church.  I pray on a daily basis.  I want my children to receive all of their sacraments and be brought up in the Catholic faith.  I just think that things have changed a bit from when the "rules" were set up and that, if the church wants to thrive again, some changes need to be made.  After 13 years of Catholic School, I'm pretty familiar with they whys and whats and hows of the Catholic Church.  I have, however, decided that I will live my life the best I can.  I will think about my family (who God has given to me to take care of and teach how to make it to heaven) and always do what I, in my heart, think is best for them.  


Want an example?  I have a perfect one...it's personal but I don't mind sharing, I guess...I think the Catholic Church needs to reexamine their stance on birth control.  I have 4 children.  4 very young children.  I planned 1 pregnancy...and 2 of them were a blessing but a surprise blessing (one of which actually produced 2 babies!).  I can't afford any more little bundles of joy.  It wouldn't be fair to the ones I already have or to the ones that were on the way.  We are at our limit.  I did what I had to do to make sure that we wouldn't have any more children.  I wasn't happy about it - but I was thinking about my family and being practical.  It is a sin to do what I did . . . but I'm living with that.  I can't imagine that God will hold it against me when my judgement comes as long as I've lived a good life and raised the children he has blessed me with well.  I don't know for sure, but I'd like to think he would understand.  If he doesn't, I know that I did what is best for my family - that's all I can do right now.


Now that I've spilled my guts about religion - I'm skipping politics...mainly because I'm so uninformed it's sad.  I just don't have time to pay attention.  If I have a question...I ask my dad.  He knows everything I need to know and he tells me in a way I can understand.  He's my own personal political search engine.  :)

Day 20: Your views on drugs and alcohol. 


My views on drugs and alcohol can be summed up pretty quickly.  Illegal drugs are bad.  Don't do them.  Legal drugs are good if they are used as directed.  Alcohol can be fun in moderation but too much can lead to an awful morning.  Too much alcohol too often can ruin your life.  Moderation is key.


Okay - there you have it.  Now, I'm off to clean my house for the party tonight!  Nate's grandparents are coming over for wings, pizza and cake!  Should be a good time!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe