Because I'm a Mother . . .

11/10/2011 06:48:00 PM

It hasn't been a really overly joyful atmosphere at our house the past couple of days.  We've tried to hide it from the kiddos as much as possible - in fact, I'm pretty sure they haven't heard anything about it - but Jerry and I have been horrified by the details of the PSU scandal that has been rocking the university and it's alumni.  Jerry is one of those alumni.  He didn't play football or any other official university sport but he did love his school . . . he still does love it.

It is a beautiful campus.  The surrounding areas are quaint and scream college life.  I loved the weekends I would spend up there with Jerry...it really is a special place.

The scandal doesn't change that.  I think a lot of people are losing sight of what is important in the whole thing.  I've seen several people saying how it is unfair to this person or that person.  The ONLY people who I feel bad for in this whole situation are those poor, innocent boys who were robbed of their childhood and who suffered something no child should EVER suffer.

I also feel bad for the football players that currently play for Penn State.  Rest assured, I know this scandal isn't about football - other than the sick individual who is ultimately to blame was part of the football program.  It has nothing to do with the current football program - but they are unfortunately getting a lot of backlash from it.  I feel bad for them for that.  I would hate to be known as part of the team when Joe Pa was fired.  It isn't fair that their football careers are overshadowed by this.  It isn't fair to any of the students.  It's just another reason to dislike the man behind it all - Jerry Sandusky.

I don't know too many details about what is going on.  I don't really want to know.  I get so angry when I read about adults who abuse children.  I get so sad and scared for my children.  I get so incredibly irate that ANY adult would be able to hurt a child like that while other adults KNOW what is going on.

 I'm not sure if you all have seen that YouTube video where the father, Judge William Adams, beats his disabled daughter for using the internet.  It is REALLY disturbing and something I wasn't sure I wanted to watch.  I did watch it.  I'll be honest with you and say that what the father did was awful.  I felt horrible for that girl BUT what the mother did was WAY worse, or at least as bad, in my opinion!  I have no idea how she could allow her husband to do that to her daughter and to tell her daughter to lay down and take it like a woman (I don't know if that is exactly what she said . . . but it is close) - I was horrified.

As an educator, I know I have a responsibility to make sure that the children I teach are safe.  It is my responsibility to make sure that they are safe at school but also that they are safe at home.  I'm required BY LAW to report any kind of abuse that I witness or even have strong suspicion of taking place.  I have been lucky enough to never have to do that . . . but I would if I had to.  If I had a child come to me or another person come to me and tell me that there was abuse taking place, I would have no problems calling authorities to let them know.  I would also tell my supervisor what I was going to do but I also know that it is MY responsibility to make the call.  I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't make the call . . . I don't know how they continued with day to day life knowing what they knew and doing nothing about it.

As a mother, I know that I will do everything in my power to make sure that nothing like this happens to my children.  I also know that I can't always be there.  I can't always have them in my sight.  What do you do?

My roommate in college has a blog and she wrote the most awesome post about this whole thing:

Comm Couture on PSU

I felt better after reading it.  I felt like I knew what I had to do.  I felt like my boys will be okay if I follow her suggestions.  (And my little girl, of course . . . but I think she will have a lot more protection than just me.  hehehe)  Thanks, Jess . . . I needed that!






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe