American Horror Story - The Show I Swore I WASN"T Going to Keep Watching

11/03/2011 07:08:00 PM

Two of my all time favorite show were Twin Peaks and The X-Files.  I will be the first to admit that it was in part do to the fact that I had giant crushes on the male leads in both shows (Kyle McLaughlin and David Duchovny) but another "draw" to both of the shows was that they were about things that couldn't easily be explained.


Twin Peaks was by far the most confusing and bizarre television show I had watched up to this past October.  It lasted 2 seasons and I can vividly remember sitting with my friend, Erin, watching the finale of season 2 when I was in my Freshman Year of High School.  I loved that I didn't understand what was going on.  I loved that so much of it was left open to interpretation.  I loved that people had theories and spent hours dissecting the little details about why David Lynch did the things he did.  If I were him . . . I would have thrown crazy stuff in there just to see what people thought it meant.  (I'll probably google it to see if he ever did that when I'm done with this post!)  Twin Peaks was amazing - from the theme song to the cook books that told you exactly how to make the perfect Cherry Pie for Agent Cooper!  I was hooked and so disappointed when they canceled it.


The X-Files was a completely different kind of obsession for me.  From the very beginning I wanted Mulder and Scully to be together.  Their relationship was a HUGE part of why I loved the show.  I loved how they intellectually flirted with each other and how there was always some kind of tension between them . . . and those moments when the tension gave way or disappeared were awesome.



The X-Files was the perfect show for that time of my life.  I could probably write at least 6 more blog posts or even a book about how the show seemed to answer questions for me before I asked them or how the Sunday night tradition of watching them with my best friend, Jason, and eating sunflower seeds (because Mulder loved them) was something that I NEEDED each week.

When they cancelled The X-Files, I thought I was going to cry.  It was time, I know.  The ending was okay - not great but okay.  It left me with a void, though...and it has yet to be filled.

I'm not saying that this new show is going to take the place of either of these shows but it has caught my attention...American Horror Story is my new "show".



I watched the pilot and swore I wouldn't watch another episode.  It freaked me out.  It scared me.  I lost sleep. It made me paranoid and confused the heck out of me.  I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Then, my niece mentioned it on facebook and I wanted to know what happened in the second episode.  I wanted to know what happened to Violet and Ben and Vivien.  I wanted to understand more about Tate (his character intrigues me the most).  I wasn't sure I wanted to see a whole lot more of Jessica Lange as Constance, though...she freaks me out...a lot.

So, I went and looked On-Demand and was really disappointed to see that it wasn't available, yet!!!  The next three days, I kept checking.  Until finally, it was there.  I watched it.  Then, I set up the DVR to tape every new episode so that I wouldn't have to wait to see them from now on.

I'm hooked.

Last night, I watched the second part of the Halloween Part 1 and 2 episodes.  I LOVED it!  I'm still confused but I think that I'm starting to understand a little bit more about who is alive and who is dead.  I'm starting to see how some of them died and why they aren't "gone".  There are still a TON of unanswered questions, though . . . and I'm looking forward to finding the answers.

I wonder if there is a reason behind me liking these crazy shows?  I also like some "normal" shows . . . Parenthood, Glee, The Good Wife, The Next Iron Chef and The Walking Dead (wait, is that "normal"?  Zombie Apocalypse shows are really "in" right now so they must be, right?)  Most nights, though, Jerry and I will curl up to an episode or two of Ghost Adventures or Ghost Hunters.  Is this a sign of something?  Am I weird?  I could post pictures of all the hot guys in those not normal shows . . . maybe that would make me seem more normal.  :)









You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe