52 Weeks #3

1/21/2011 07:23:00 AM


This week's project was one of the 2 China Closets I have in my dining room.  This one is built into the wall and we use it as book shelves/storage shelves.  We used it as a China Closet until my mother-in-law bought us her mother-in-law's dining room set that had a China Closet with it.  That China Closet is on my list, too...but I figured I would start with this one.  I was planning on organizing my pantry this week ~ but started this instead, so I went with it.

Here is my before picture:


The top two shelves aren't too bad, but the bottom two had become dumping places for things I wanted to hide - and it didn't hide anything too well.  

So, I took everything out and started sorting through it.  

I moved the board games downstairs.  My kids will occasionally ask to play one, but they aren't into them enough to have them taking up precious space in my dining room.  It will only take a minute to run down and get one if they want them.

Next, I thought about what I really wanted to use this closet for.  I wanted it to be MY space.  I wanted to have a place to put everything that usually resides on my dining room table and gets moved to a pile on top of my printer when we are eating or thrown in my laptop case.  I wanted a place for my stuff.

Here is what I ended up with:


The boxes on the bottom are actually diaper boxes that I covered in contact paper and then put a nifty sign on to tell me what I stuck in it.  In between those boxes are my Household binders - the recipe one I talked about last week and the master one - which is a lot like a Control Journal with some extra stuff thrown in.  (It's on my list to organize, too...so you will probably be seeing it sooner or later)

The shelf above that has all my budgeting stuff - the books I'm reading to help cut my grocery bills and my boxes of markers, scissors, hole puncher, etc.  I love the fact that if I need a pen or scissors, I know exactly where to go!  Now, I just need to make sure that they get put back there.  :)

The shelf above that one has two bins - one for all the Snapfish and Shutterfly books I have made and one for note cards.  I also put some books that I really hope to get to soon!

I left the top shelf pretty much the same.  It's where my cookbooks are stored and I have no where else to put them.  I probably don't need them all . . . or even most of them because I have my binder and use allrecipes.com for about everything I need.  I love cookbooks, though.   I love flipping through them when I have time and reading new recipes.  I just can't part with them right now.

So...there you have it.

BEFORE
AFTER
 Head on over to I'm an Organizing Junkie and find lots of other organizing ideas, projects and pictures!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe