This Week's Menu - and my grocery adventures

1/03/2011 07:25:00 AM

So ~ I've been reading my new book, "Family Feasts for $75 a Week" and getting lots of great ideas and tips on how to get more for my money as well as save some time while cooking at home.  Truth be told - I didn't do so well shopping this week.  I guess I haven't really disciplined myself enough, yet.  But I can't be too hard on myself...it was only the first week I tried.  :)

I did hit 2 different stores - one for their awesome prices on everyday stuff and ingredients for meals I have planned this week.  The other store for their meat - because their prices are decent and the meat is high quality.  I will say that I probably picked an awful time to go shopping there, though - the selection was very limited...that's what happens late on a Sunday at a small store.

Anyway, the one thing that I am going to try this month to help me get more on track saving money at the grocery store is keeping a price book.  It's suggested in the book and I realized that I really don't know when a deal is a good deal or a great deal.  Keeping track of prices at the stores I shop will help me to see when something on sale is at a "stock-up" price or just a better than normal price.

One thing that was a real eye opener when I was working on our food budget was how much we really spend eating out and ordering in.  We fall victim to 2 excuses when it comes to not cooking our own meals.  The first is picking lunch up while working.  We do this because we are SUPER busy and there isn't always something easy to grab for lunch.  I'm still not use to cooking for 6 people and a lot of the time we don't have leftovers!  So we get $8 here and $6 there...maybe a $5 foot-long or $4.99 meal from Wendy's.  Those add up QUICK!

The other thing that we are guilty of - mostly me - is thinking, "We don't go out to eat much, so ordering Chinese or Pizza once in a while is no big deal."  The problem with THAT is that when we do it it can cost $40 or more!  I could make at least 2 dinners for that price...maybe more once I start learning the prices of things and the time to buy.

This is not to say that we won't order out once in a while - but we have a goal to cut our "restaurant" spending in half this month!  Trying to reach that goal will make me much more likely to plan my lunch the night before work than waking up and realizing there is nothing to take.

So - on with this week's menu!  I'm linking up over at I'm an Organizing Junkie - head on over to see some more menus for this week and maybe get some ideas for what you want to make this week!



Monday ~ Breaded Pork Chops and Vegetable Fried Rice

Tuesday ~ Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Wednesday ~ Crispy Cod and Tossed Salad

Thursday ~ Spaghetti and Meatballs with Garlic Bread

Friday ~ Florentine Chicken and Veggies

Saturday ~ Black Bean and Smoked Sausage Soup with Homemade Biscuits

Sunday ~ Leftovers or Eating at Families (this will happen at some point this week, I'm sure, so I'll plan for it on Sunday and then just plug a meal in here if it happens on a different day)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe