Mama Guilt Monday - #1

3/15/2010 03:24:00 PM

So...Cop Mama hosts this little MckLinky Blog Hop thing (meme) on Mondays to get rid of some Mama Guilt. She mentioned it to me when I posted this...and I just forgot last week. I remembered (even though it's a little late in the day) this week and knew exactly what I was going to write about.

Without further ado ~ What I'm feeling guilty about today...and have been for some time.

The Nutritional Habits of My Children

I remember when Nate was little and we were talking about how we were going to make sure he ate the right things.  I remember reading all the books I could get my hands on to make sure he wasn't going to be a picky eater.  I read about the order in which you should introduce new food.  I read about eating diner together as a family - at the TABLE.  I read about how much, how often and what kinds of foods he should be eating.  I really wanted to get it right.

Fast forward to now - add 3 kids in 33 months bringing the grand total to 4 kids in 46 months (3 years/ 10 months from baby #1 to baby #4).  Also factor in me getting a part time job and Jerry working late most days plus EVERY STINKING SATURDAY!!!  I have a million excuses - but really it always goes back to me just not being persistent and strict enough with my children.

Once I started giving them what they wanted, all my hopes for not having picky kids flew out the window.  We rarely sit down as a family to eat because Jerry is usually late coming home and the kids can't wait.  I usually cook for us and cook separate for the kids.  My friend, Christine, is much better at this than I am...she even found a way to get her girls to try something different and be excited about it!  Even if she doesn't get them to eat it - she at least gets them to try.  I can't even get my kids at the table with us...let alone eating the same thing.  It did happen on Friday, though - and I was OVERJOYED!  Nate actually ate Parmesan Crusted Tilapia, Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes!!!  Of course, Danika fell asleep before dinner and ate a PB&J when she finally woke up at 11 pm.

My philosophy of late has been that they will try things when they are ready - but will they?  I don't put new stuff in front of them anymore because I'm just too tired to fight with them.  They are healthy.  They are growing.  They are (usually) happy.  They just don't eat what they should.  They don't eat where they should or when they should.  They are such snackers.  They are picky.  Danika will even proclaim loudly, "EWWWW" at anything she thinks looks like something she won't eat.

I want to do it differently with the twins.  We started them on cereal and a few veggies about a month ago - we don't even do that every day!  I guess it's because I know they don't NEED the cereal or veggies because they get everything from their formula...I'm lazy.  The days I do remember I often remember at 7 or 8 pm...when we should be getting ready for baths and bed.

So - my Mama Guilt this week (and for as far back as I can remember) is that my kids just don't eat the way they should...I hope they eventually like things other than Chicken Nuggets, Hot Dogs, Grilled Cheese, Macaroni and Cheese, PB&J and a few select fruits and veggies.   *sigh*





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe