Two Kisses For Maddy

5/28/2011 07:19:00 AM

No, this is not a book review blog.  However, I am writing 2 posts in a row about books that I have read.  Funny thing is, as a teacher AND a mother of 4 little ones, I never thought I would get through 2 whole books in the month of May!!!

The last book I reviewed I read because it was our book club book. Usually, I read one book a month and that's the one. I almost never get around to the stack of books that are on MY list of books to read.

Our book club meets at Borders and last week they had an awesome 50% off coupon that my friend (and book club buddy), Lori, made sure that she forwarded to me before we left. I wasn't sure what I was going to buy. I was back and forth about a couple things for the kids. I thought about buying next month's book club book but I knew I wouldn't be going to book club so I don't think I am going to read it. Then...I walked past a table with some assorted books about fathers on it. There, on the table, was the book "Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss and Love" by Matt Logelin.

I have followed Matt's blog,  matt, liz and madeline, for about 2 years now.  I've been a silent follower but an avid follower.  Their story is heartbreaking.  I won't get into it too much here because you can head on over to the blog and read what happened in Matt's words.  I've shed a lot of tears for Matt, Liz and Madeline even though I have never met them.  

When I held the book in my hand at Borders, I knew I wouldn't put it back in the pile. I knew I would buy it.  Besides, I had a 50% off coupon!  The thing I wasn't so sure about was if I would read it or not.  I didn't feel like being sad or crying.  I was pretty sure that the book would make me bawl my eyes out.  I didn't care if I read it or not, though - I had to buy it just to have it.

After book club, I curled up in my bed trying to pick a book from MY pile that I would read because I wasn't going to read the book club book.  I picked up my new copy of  "Two Kisses For Maddy" and told myself that I would just look at the pictures (all of which I had seen before) and maybe read a couple pages.  75 pages later I was reading the part of the book that I knew would bring me to tears...and it did but not nearly as bad as I expected.

Matt has a way of telling his story so honestly and with this "it sucks and I'm miserable but it's not all about me" attitude that shows what an amazing father he is and how much he loved Liz.  The things that he has done in Liz's memory are amazing accomplishments!  Check out the Liz Logelin Foundation!

I cried less than I thought I would and laughed more than I expected to.  I also put the book down (finished) in 3 days...even though I had no intention of really reading it...and I felt "closer" to Matt and Maddy after reading it.

I don't deal well with death.  I avoid thinking about it and when I am faced with it I usually don't do so well.  I read "A Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didon - or I should say I tried to read it.  I couldn't do it.  It was very different from Matt's book, though.  Joan wrote with less hope and more dread.  Matt writes with a lot of hurt and pain but also with a lot of love and plans for the future.

I doubt this book is for everyone.  It's sad.  It's also very raw - it's descriptive and leaves you with pictures in your head that you won't be able to shake right away.  It's also got a few swear words in it.  I read reviews from a few people who complained about Matt's language which kind of made me laugh.  Like he wrote the book for them or something!  I didn't find Matt's language to be a problem.  Yes, he says fuck a few times...or maybe more than a few times...but I think I would too if I was going through what he is going through.  In general, I don't swear much but I didn't feel like the swearing took away from the book at all - if anything, it made it feel more real.

All in all ~ I would highly recommend this book IF you like real life stories and can handle a sad story.  I hate to say it because I feel like it is a little insensitive to Matt (not that he is reading this but still) it also made me appreciate what I have more and made my problems feel so insignificant.  I know that I will continue to read about Matt and Maddy on the blog and can't wait to hear more about their journeys.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe