TV free day?

5/02/2011 07:09:00 AM

My friend (in real life), Christine, does TV free Mondays at her house.  I turned the TV off at 8:30 - right after Nate left for school and am thinking about leaving it off all day...it's only 9:24 right now and it's taken this long to get the crying to stop - which is ridiculous - and EVERY toy is out of the toy boxes (yes, we have 4) and on the floor.  I'm thinking we need TV free days just so my kids learn that they don't NEED the TV.

Truth of the matter is, I'm not totally against the kids watching TV as long as it is age appropriate.  I won't lie, there are times when the TV has literally saved me on occasion.  I have 4 small children.  I am home alone most days.  I need to do things other than play with Little People and stack blocks.  Not that I wouldn't love to do that all day with them but we have to eat and I'm the only one who can cook lunch!

Now - we are Nick Jr. watchers...here's some of the kid's favorites:

Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends

Little Bear - it's like Prozac for little ones

Little Bill

Wow Wow Wubbzy

Yo Gabba Gabba - yes, the music sticks in your head and you want to scream but the kids love it!

I would like to add my favorites, too -


Blue's Clues - but with Steve (sorry Joe)

Max and Ruby 

The Upside Down Show
 Although I would rather not watch them . . . we also end up watching The Fresh Beat Band and Dino Dan every once in a while, too.

DVDs are big here, too.  I'll admit that I have put on a Baby Einstein here and there and all 4 kids will sit and watch them.  I don't know why but the 5 and 4 year old STILL love them - maybe it reminds them of when they were babies because of the music?

All that being said - I think I need TV free days.  My kids need to learn how to play with each other and I need a break from all the noise the TV brings with it.

I think it is something I'm going to start this week - one day (today - Monday) a week we are going to leave the TV off...I doubt Jerry will go for it once the kids go to bed but I'm hoping I can get him on board for until they go to bed.  Then in the summer, I may try for 2 days a week...shouldn't be too hard once we get outside!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  What do you do with your kids when the TV isn't on?  More specifically, what do you do with your TODDLERS when the TV is off?

Wish me luck!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe