Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl

1/27/2010 06:32:00 AM




Three years ago today I was sitting in a hospital bed - slightly uncomfortable and anxious to see my new baby girl that we hadn't decided on a name for yet. I remember Danika's birth a lot more vividly than Nate's. Not only because it was 14 months later (and therefore fresher in my memory) but also because I kinda knew what to expect. I knew how it would feel. I wasn't really all that nervous or worried about pain. I knew that was temporary. I just wanted to hold my new baby.

If you rewind to 9 months or so before that, I wouldn't have been as excited. Of course, I wouldn't change a thing now...but finding out we were going to have baby #2 with a 4 month old at home was...well...scary. We were just starting to sleep a little better and get use to spending most nights at home. Then, once the shock of a new baby set in, we found out our new one was going to be a little girl! I cried - and not tears of joy - because I didn't want a girl. I was so worried about all of the difficult things she would be going through growing up. I know what it's like to be a girl - and all I could think about at the time were all the horrible things. For example, I remember telling Jerry, someday a boy is going to break her heart. He thought I was nuts (for the record...I think he still thinks I'm crazy)

I'm so glad that God knows what we need and gives us what we need instead of what we always want. God knew I was going to need another female in the house - if for no other reason than to go shopping with! :) I don't know what I would do without her - and she's only 3.

Dear Danika,

Today is your 3rd Birthday. You are such a joy and I don't know what we'd do without you. Don't get me wrong - you can throw a tantrum better than anyone I know. I get so frustrated with you when you cry and scream. You are the loudest child I've EVER met. You are also the sweetest. You get so concerned when one of your brothers is upset. You miss Nate when he isn't around. You love to give hugs and kisses - but only when you want to NOT when someone asks for one.

You are Daddy's Little Girl - there is no doubt about that - but lately you have started to want me for things, too. You are starting to use the potty and it's going pretty well. We are bribing you with one of your favorites - CHOCOLATE! :)

You love princesses and all things Disney these days. You would eat an entire stick of butter if I let you (which grosses me out to no end) and are always worried that we are going to leave someone behind. You are the one who does the head count when we get into the van to go somewhere . . . oh, and you count in Spanish not English!

I'm so glad that God decided to give us you. I feel so blessed that I get to watch you grow and see you turn into a little lady. I can't wait for your Princess Party on Saturday - I know you will love it. I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures...because I will need something to threaten you with when you start dating! :0)

I love you,
Mommy

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe