Whip It - Good?

6/13/2011 06:54:00 AM

Couldn't help it...the title just couldn't be denied!

So ~ it's not like I needed a movie to tell me that I've kind of hit adulthood.  The 4 screaming, laughing, crazy kids that I'm actually responsible for do that EVERY day.

However, I tend to head to movies and TV shows as an escape from that reality...I have always been one to get wrapped up in a movie so tightly that it takes me a while to get back to reality.  It's especially true for TV shows that I watch weekly.

I was devastated when Season 4 of Dexter ended...devastated for WEEKS!!!  I would just randomly look at Jerry and say, "I can't believe that really happened!"  Of course, his response was, "Janene, it's a TV show!"

Why am I telling you all this?  I watched Whip-It (directorial debut of Drew Barrymore) on Saturday night.  LOVED the movie.  It was my kind of movie - very funny and just the right amount of angst for me.



Funny thing is...I always loved these kind of movies because I could totally relate to the little rebel girl who was trying to prove to everyone that she wasn't what they wanted her to be.   I would smile knowingly when she told her parents that she would be studying at a friend when really they were going to some crazy concert or (in this case) Roller Derby...I still did that but then it was immediately followed by this weird feeling that I wasn't too happy about.  A tiny bit of fear made it's way in there - fear that some day my daughter (or sons) would be pulling this stuff on me!  I started to relate more to the mother who had no clue what her daughter was doing until she found the ticket stub or (in this case) the giant poster with her playing Roller Derby!  I started to wonder how I would deal with being the "bad guy" who wouldn't let them do what they wanted to do because *ahem* I am smarter and I know better.

As much as I loved the movie, I would recommend it - not a FANTASTIC movie but entertaining enough, by the end of the movie I came to the disturbing realization that I can't even use Saturday night movies as an escape from reality anymore.  I'm officially an adult, parent and all grown up.  You still won't see me giving my Docs away, though...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe