Maybe I do know what I'm talking about

9/21/2011 07:06:00 AM

I very rarely complain about people on my blog.  In fact, I try to make it a point to not put anyone down and try to stay very positive - you never know when someone will stumble upon what you write and put out there and be offended or upset.  However, I just have to complain a little today.  I have a major issue with someone. Someone who lives in a pineapple under the sea.  Someone who has one of the most annoying laughs in the whole entire world and has the IQ of a . . . well, a sponge.

I tried very hard to not expose my children to this annoying, yellow square but my FIL really does enjoy watching his antics.  I always found it funny that he would tell everyone about the episode where they are swearing but you never actually hear it because there is always a fog horn or dolphin or something that makes a loud sound every time someone says the bad word.  Then, in the same breath, would talk about how it is appropriate for my 2, 3 and 4 year old children to watch.  I didn't push it . . . but I'm now thinking that maybe I should have.

The dangers of SpongeBob have now been brought to light and I'm feeling kind of guilty about not sticking to my guns a little more.  I'm not sure it would have helped much - but I'm thinking I should have tried.  I'm also not naive enough to think that I ruined them for life because I let them watch SpongeBob but now that I know it isn't a good idea for them to be exposed, before it was more of a gut feeling and now it is documented,  I can do something about it now.

The twins are not allowed to watch SpongeBob anymore.  The "big" kids know it.  I don't think it has really phased them - Nate is the only one who kind of misses it a bit but I have told him that he can watch 1 episode after they go to bed if he absolutely has to.  He did the first night and hasn't since.

Our new obsession around here . . .


Which I can totally live with.  It makes me feel like I am letting them be kids.  I'm not letting them grow up too fast.  They actually enjoy something AGE appropriate and something that is innocent and educational.

I do have to say that the SpongeBob thing is more my fault than the creators of SpongeBob.  SpongeBob is not made for 2, 3 or even 4 and 5 year olds to watch.  SpongeBob is more for the 8, 9 and 10 year old crew.  It is hard, though, to avoid it all together when it is everywhere.  

I'm enjoying the little difference I'm seeing in their personalities, too.  It seems like they are happier and less "violent" - Dean is a biter, pusher, puller, hitter - now that we are watching something that engages them a little bit when we are watching TV.  It's kind of amazing how one week without the yellow guy can make a difference.

Of course, we did a no TV Monday this week and they were awesome!  They played together with only a few minor problems here and there.  They laughed a lot more and seemed happier in general.  I didn't get anything done, though.  I was fully engaged with them all day and by the time nap time came I was BEAT!  One day a week, though . . . I can handle that!

Okay . . . off to throw a load of laundry in before the Hot Dog song comes on!  Have a great Wednesday!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe